Captains log 201611.15

The forecast literally had "abundant Sunshine" written for today. Of course, we woke to heavy fog. I mean really heavy fog. I was motoring into what looked like white haze. I couldn't see any difference between water 10 feet in front of the boat or 30 degrees above the horizon. It was all just uniform white haze. The amended forecast stated, "heavy fog till 9am". They clearly omitted the part about it getting heavier after 9am. I'm not sure if it was the fog that started lifting or that we'd traveled over 50 miles South but by 2pm we had better visibility. No real change in the temperature, of 66f... oh sorry, that was the forecast temperature. The real temperature at 2pm in "abundant Sunshine" was about 52F. The boat and myself were totally soaked from the mist and cold to the bone.

I felt like a bit part actor playing opposite Eric Banner. I saw a fly about today. I was confident it was a sign that warmer weather is coming. Eric Banner: "FLY SIGNS!! You're predicting the weather based on "FLY SIGNS!". I could hear Orlando Bloom saying, "I'll get the fly spray!". In any case, I froze my ass off in wet cold Sunless conditions that were meant to be warm and Sunny for pretty much the entire day. The Sun came out for small patches around 3-5pm and we got a very filtered Sunset. It was like looking at the Sun through a red tint Sun filter. There was no problem looking at it directly it was so dim. The motor fix I did seems to have worked. The engine didn't even hiccup once. It ran flawlessly and as a result we managed to get the best days travel in so far on the trip. We covered 75nm in just over ten hours. We're currently on the hook in a low internet (2G) service site so posting and reading is time consuming. We are currently about 40nm from Charleston SC as the crow flies. So probably about 60-80 nm in reality depending on the curves and anywhere between a day or two out depending on the current.

I managed to time the current perfectly by accident today. I wanted a good start this morning with the rising tide but had no idea that we'd be with the current almost all the way for ten hours. We just passed inlets as the tide shifted and thus stayed with it. Not sure how tomorrow will go but there are so many inlets that I just don't think it's possible to get a fast ride through with the tide all the way. So well probably just get 40-50nm in before Sunset. Speaking of which, this particular trip is the only time I've done it with such limited daylight hours. We get roughly 10.5 hours of light and need at least an hour of that to find a suitable anchorage so we plan on a max of 9.5 hours. I don't stop navigating. I navigate while having breakfast, lunch and only stop at the end of the day to make dinner. I like to make dinner. It means being around the stove and that means warmth. Even with that schedule we can't make the same times as we did previously because we'd had about 13-14 hours of daylight. It's something I hadn't factored for this trip. An obvious flaw but one that was missed none the less.

If any of you remember the woo woo theory of the voltmeter from the last trip, this time we started with the thing dry. After yesterday's rain and cold, it is now all fogged up. We're going South for the Winter and it's getting colder. w.t.f.!!! The "forecast" for tomorrow in Charleston sc is 72F and Sunny. We get about four days of such forecasts which in theory will give us nice warm weather and we'll ride that warm streak to Savannah when there will be a small cold spell which is still warmer than what we had today. We'll let you know how that turns out. Don't hold your breath though. When we finally hit warm weather, I'm not sure what we'll do. probably just stare in disbelief for hour.